Application Deadline: open until filled
Job Title: Senior Data Scientist
Location: Portland, OR
Position Type: Permanent/full-time
Expected Start Date: Spring 2021
Overview: The Freshwater Trust (TFT), a non-profit leader in watershed analysis, restoration/conservation program design and tracking is seeking a skilled technical professional to join its science and analytics team. This full-time position will be based in Portland, OR and will initially be working with a team to build new statistically viable modeling strategies for the evolving BasinScout Platform™.
TFT is taking advantage of rapid evolutions in technology and data science to build out a software system that will improve the effectiveness of conservation investment and increase the pace of improvements needed to recover and sustain freshwater ecosystems. The Senior Data Scientist will be responsible for leading TFT’s efforts to refine and make scalable/adaptable its rigorous systems and analytical approaches to quantify the ecological and economic outcomes that result from land and water management choices – especially as they relate to the quantity and quality of surface and groundwater and aquatic ecosystems.
This position requires a proven problem-solver who can work in a dynamic, innovative, and fast-paced environment that emphasizes quality, analytical rigor, critical thinking, and a strong desire to grow and integrate the talent and skills of team members. This role is ideal for an individual with knowledge of natural resource science, data science, and evolving technology that can apply their skills and experience to an organization seeking to apply data and analytics to critical problems facing freshwater ecosystems.
This position requires the ability to understand and stay focused on organization mission and product vision, while supporting the TFT’s science and analytics team members to meet product development milestones and managing competing priorities. The Senior Data Scientist will lead a variety of TFT’s science and analytics initiatives, often with a focus on deriving insight from geospatial data by designing, testing, and deploying scalable models help guide TFT’s projects and programs.
This position requires the ability to understand technical details in order to contribute and guide product development and the ability to communicate with non-technical teams to ensure continuous alignment of product development, market needs, and mission goals.
Position Responsibilities: In addition to the description above,
- Develop modeling and data processes in Python
- Lead technical initiatives on advanced analytics projects such as predictive modeling
- Oversee workflow to drive timely goal attainment
- Ensure excellence within the science and analytics team and the products produced.
- Work closely with organizational leadership to ensure organization mission and vision are continuously aligned with software outputs.
- Provide review for analytical deliverables and visual representation of work product.
- Work with TFT’s finance team to track hours and project resourcing needs.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Advanced degree in statistics, computer science, mathematics, environmental science, or related field
- 10+ years working as part of technical teams
- Advanced competency with Python and/or R
- Strong background in machine learning implementation and deployment in scalable environments
- Experience applying statistical/ML techniques to messy, real-world datasets, particularly geospatial data
- Ability to work in an open-office, team environment (although we are all currently working from home)
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written
- Generous benefits package, including full health coverage, paid time off, and retirement contributions
- Supply a Cover Letter, Resume and a list of 3 References into a single PDF not to exceed 5MB
- Submit required information and documentation at: https://app.smartsheet.com/b/form/8324ce2ee6c74ceabaf00684d4a3c0a6 or at: https://www.thefreshwatertrust.org/jobs-opportunities/
Please, no phone or email inquiries about this position. Applicants must have legal permission to work in the U.S.
Interested candidates from historically underrepresented communities are strongly encouraged to apply. The Freshwater Trust is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection of candidates for employment on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex or sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age, military service, family medical history, legal source of income, gender identity, political affiliation, or family leave obligations. ADA accommodations will be provided upon request.
 The Portland office is currently working from home due to COVID-19 precautions