Stand.earth is hiring a passionate senior forest campaigner to play a key role in restricting growth of the Canadian wood pellet export sector and logging companies that are accelerating climate change and impacting primary and old growth forests, communities, and key species in Canada and the US.
If you love developing creative campaign strategies, have a knack organizing and corporate engagement, enjoy a well-timed headquarters protest, and thrive in front of a camera or behind an email action alert, this might be the perfect role for you!
We encourage applicants to apply by April 16, 2021. This position is open until filled.
Stand.earth is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate upon which we depend. Stand’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 2000, we’ve secured the protection of 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and transformed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted by environmental pollution and climate change, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Pollution, climate change, and corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ people. To develop transformative solutions, these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are seeking a highly motivated Senior Forests Campaigner to be a key member of the forests team as we work to support the expansion of our work to protect primary forests and restrict the growth of the forests-to-electricity wood pellet export sector in Canada.
Reporting to the Forest Programs Director, this position is responsible for aiding in developing and implementing our forest campaign strategy, supporting issue research, leading negotiations, communicating through traditional and digital channels with key audiences, coordinating with allies, and helping to design creative high-impact actions. This is a full-time exempt position with excellent benefits. Salary will be commensurate with experience, and will likely be within the range of $54,000 to $65,000 USD or $70,000 to $85,000 CAD.
This role will be based in the Pacific or Mountain time zone (working hours will be during normal business hours - 9am-5pm Pacific time). Ideal locations are in British Columbia and/or Ottawa. The role will be remote from the comfort of the candidate's own home. Once the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic has passed, there may also be the option to work out of our Vancouver hub office.
Key Responsibilities of this role:
● Work with Stand.earth team and coalition partners to develop and implement strong campaign strategies to expose impacts, mobilize citizens, push for policy change and build finance and marketplace power
● Build local leadership through coalition building
● Support industry and issue-focused research
● Serve as one of Stand.earth’s spokespeople on this campaign for international media and develop campaign communications strategies and supporting materials with support from senior campaign advisors
● Manage relationships with partner organizations allies and coordinate relevant activities and events
● Develop and execute online and offline organizing tactics that support and achieve campaign goals and objectives, including the recruitment of supporters online and offline
● Develop communications that engage our online community, build our base and get noticed in the media
● Build relationships with and manage relevant staff, interns, and volunteers according to Stand’s guiding principles
● Participate in the management of campaign budgets and monitor both revenue and expenses to ensure financial health of the campaign
● Participate in foundation and major donor briefings, cultivation, stewardship and solicitation, as well as writing and editing funding proposals and reports as identified by the development department
Who you’ll be:
● 5-7 years of working in the environmental and/or social justice campaigns sector
● Deep understanding of forest and/or climate issues
● Demonstrated success leading online and offline corporate campaigning and citizen mobilizing strategies and tactics
● Proven ability to generate and respond to media inquires, identifying and pursuing opportunities for high profile media/communications
● Demonstrated ability to deliver projects on time and within budget
● Highly organized, flexible, creative, able to prioritize multiple tasks, and able to thrive in a fast-paced and ever changing environment
● Independent and self-motivated
● Experience working with Indigenous leadership and impacted communities
● Digital and media savvy – familiar enough with this campaigning landscape to propose smart digital tactics and represent the campaign in the media
● Enthusiasm and passion for campaigning
● Passion for working with a dynamic team in a rapid response environment
● Self-awareness, confidence and creativity
● Maturity of judgment and operating talent to achieve credibility and influence with senior management, board members, colleagues and peer organizations
● Committed to the values of equity, authentic communication and collaboration
Please send a 1-page cover letter and resume to email@example.com with your name in the subject line and on each attachment. In your cover letter, tell us what’s motivating you to apply for this role. Please also make sure to let us know how you heard about this position. The recruitment and interview process includes a time-bound anonymous task and two rounds of interviews. No phone calls, please. Only those who will be interviewed will be contacted.