Center for Food Safety (CFS), one of the nation’s top food and environmental advocacy nonprofits, seeks an experienced attorney to fill a Staff Attorney position. The position will be based in the CFS Portland, OR office, or San Francisco, CA office.
About Center for Food Safety
For nearly 25 years, CFS has empowered people, supported farmers, and protected the earth from the adverse impacts of industrial food production. CFS uses legal actions, groundbreaking scientific and policy reports, books and other educational materials, market pressure, and grass roots campaigns through our nearly one million member network. CFS’s legal work collectively represents a landmark body of case law on food and agricultural issues.
About the Position
The Staff Attorney works with the rest of the legal team and Legal Director to develop and prosecute cases, both as lead counsel and in partnership with other attorneys. The Staff Attorney will be responsible for developing, coordinating, and pursuing strategic litigation in federal and state courts on an ever-expanding variety of cutting-edge food and environmental issues, in support of CFS’s overall mission and its specific program areas, including:
- Climate Change
- Food Labeling
- Food Safety
- Genetically Engineered Organisms
- Industrial Animal Agriculture
- Organic Integrity
- Soil Protection
Other responsibilities of the Staff Attorney include:
- State and federal rule-making and agency comments and engagement
- Participating in agency, Congressional, and other meetings
- Representing CFS and other clients at hearings and policy events
- Maintaining and developing organizational partnerships
- Working collaboratively with policy, communications, and development staff
- Law clerk/junior staff supervision
Desired Qualifications & Skills:
- A law degree and at least 3 years of litigation experience (administrative/environmental law or related area preferred)
- A passion for enforcing and strengthening environmental and health laws
- The ability to independently manage an impact docket consisting of mission-driven cases
- Excellent research and legal writing skills
- Oral advocacy and/or public speaking experience
- Self-motivation and willingness to perform administrative tasks
- The ability to work collaboratively with others in a small, team-oriented environment
- Admission to the California or Oregon bar, or willingness to be licensed in either state within one year of employment
- Interest or background in food and/or agriculture issues is a plus
- Scientific background is a plus
Compensation & Benefits
CFS offers a competitive compensation package with salary range of $60,000 to $100,000, depending on geographic location, relevant experience, and other factors. Our benefits package includes medical, vision, and dental insurance, disability insurance, pre-tax medical and dependent care savings plan, employer retirement plan contributions, and generous vacation and leave policies.
Please apply by submitting a cover letter explaining your interest in the position and how your experience will contribute to a culture of inclusion within CFS and our broader community, a resume, a legal writing sample (not to exceed 10 pages), and 3-5 references.
Application materials should be submitted via e-mail to Russell Howze, CFS Legal Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
CFS welcomes and embraces a diversity of people, identities, and cultures, and is committed to providing equal employment opportunities without regard to race, ethnicity, national origin, age, gender, sex, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, marital status, pregnancy, medical condition, veteran status, or socioeconomic background.