Job ID: 307161
The Characterization & Remediation Team within the Subsurface Science & Technology Group seeks a highly motivated individual with extensive experience in environmental remediation, a strong ethic of service to the scientific community, and a commitment to both scientific excellence and national impact on critical scientific and technical problems.
Key responsibilities will be to define new and distinctive opportunities, develop compelling proposals, and establish internal and external collaborations that will grow programs, strengthen capabilities, expand business areas, and meet long-term strategic goals of the organization. Specifically, the successful candidate will:
• Identify, develop, and demonstrate systems-based approaches for environmental characterization, monitoring, and remediation in the subsurface.
• Provide recognized technical leadership via national and/or international authority and promote collaboration with key institutions, organizations, and partners.
• Advance state-of-the-art concepts, approaches, and technologies through experience and thought leadership around intractable environmental problems.
• Regularly publish key scientific findings in high-impact peer-reviewed journals and at major conferences.
• Review the work of others across the Laboratory.
• Organize and chair sessions at conferences and participate in professional society meetings at the regional and national level.
• Serve on external review committees and influence scientific or engineering standards and procedures.
• Mentor and train multiple scientific staff at all levels in business development and technical leadership.
• Comply with and influence PNNL’s policies regarding environmental safety and health and protection of business-sensitive material.
• BS/BA with 9 years of experience; MS/MA with 7 years of experience, or PhD with 5 years of experience.
• Preferred education is a PhD in hydrogeology, environmental engineering, or related field with 7 years of experience, or MS in hydrogeology, environmental engineering, or related field with 10 years of experience.
• Recognized and sustained experience leading research and developing business, particularly with the Department of Energy, Department of Defense, and Department of Interior. Familiarity with environmental cleanup associated with nuclear waste disposal, and the petroleum and mining industries highly desirable.
• Demonstrated record of interdisciplinary research and collaboration with sponsors, other organizations, and scientists in the areas of geologic characterization, hydrologic testing, and environmental engineering in various hydrogeologic regimes.
• Extensive knowledge in both laboratory and field applications in environmental remediation, particularly technology demonstrations.
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills with experience in technical writing, presenting, and marketing/sales.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Special/Hazardous Working Conditions or Environment:
This position involves relationship management with sponsors as well as oversight of laboratory and/or field work. As such, regular travel to offsite locations (e.g., sponsor locations, academia, and industry) is anticipated. Lab and field work conditions will include radiological, chemical, biological, and munitions hazards.
Closing Date: 2018-02-01